SALKANTAY TRAIL TO MACHUPICCHU 4DAYS
This amazing trek runs beneath the magnificent Salkantay mountain (6.271m/20569ft), one of the highest and most stunning in the Peruvian Andes
Day 01 : CUSCO - MOLLEPATA - SORAYPAMPA (L)(D)
We will leave from Cusco approximately between 4:30a.m. and 5:00a.m. A local bus will take us to the town of Mollepata (2900 meters above sea level) where we will arrive approximately at 8:00 in the morning, we will stop for last minute supplies, leg-stretching or to use the restrooms, before starting the Salcantay tour. During the trip we will have panoramic views of the majestic Salkantay, other mountains covered with snow, and the Valley of Apurimac River. We will meet with our support staff, and they will load the equipment on horses and mules. Around 9:00 a.m., we will begin our walk toward Sayllapata (3200 meters above sea level). About 1:00p.m., we will have a Peruvian lunch. After lunch, we will continue hiking toward the Soraypampa villages (3850 meters above sea level). Around 5:30 in the afternoon we will arrive to our camp where the tents will be ready for you as well as your dinner.
Day 02 : SORAYPAMPA - CHALLWAY (B)(L)(D)
Today, nature will change drastically from dry sceneries to snowy peaks and tropical areas. After a nutritious breakfast, we will start the most difficult part of the trek. We will start the hike around 7:00 in the morning. We will hike to a place called Pampas Salkantay, then go toward the left side of the snowy peaks of Umantay located next to the Apu Salkantay. At midday, we will be on the highest point ( 4600 meters above sea level). We will appreciate spectacular views of the mountains and the imposing snowy peaks of the Salkantay (6264 meters above sea level) which is known as the second highest point of the Cusco region. Around 1:00 p.m., we will have our lunch, in the area called Huayracmachay. After a trek of approximately 3 hours, we will arrive to our camp in Challway (2920 meters above sea level). Around 7:00p.m., we will recuperate from the trek and eat dinner.
Day 03 : CHALLWAY – LA PLAYA - AGUAS CALIENTES (B)(L)(D)
Around 5:00a.m., we will start our trek and we will enjoy the beautiful sunrise. We will walk for about 5 hours toward Playa Sahuayaco and during this period; we will observe a town called Collpabamba, also called the “Forest Cloudy Brow” where waterfalls, fruit-bearing trees, varied flora, and birds can be observed. salcantay pass river crossingIf we are lucky, we will be able to observe the famous bird called the “Cock of the Rocks'. Once at Playa Sahuayaco, we will take a local bus to drive us to the hydroelectric train station. At around 1:30p.m., we will have our lunch at the hydroelectric. We will take a train from the hydroelectric to the town of Aguas Calientes (2000 meters above sea level). Here, you have the option of going to the thermal hot springs. We will have dinner at 7:00p.m. and accommodation at the hotel or hostel of your choice.
Day 04: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO (B)
Today, you will start early at around 4:30a.m. and walk up to Machu Picchu and to the Sun Gate. In Machu Picchu, you will have a guided tour for about two hours and after that you will be free to explore the Citadel and take pictures, or if you desire, ascent toward the Huaynapicchu Mountain. At 2:55p.m. or 6:45p.m. (depending on availability), you will be taking a train to Ollantaytambo and from there; a bus will drive you to Cusco.
Tour inclusions :
- Hotel Night in Aguas Calientes
- Weight Allowance: 8 Kilograms per trekker (weights to be carried by horses)
- Transportation to head of Salkantay trail.
- English/Spanish speaker professional guide
- Personal pad (double foam)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horses (to carry the tents, toilet and cooking equipment)
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
- Guided visit to Machu Picchu.
- Bus ticket Machu Picchu - Aguas Calientes
- Backpacker train ticket hidroelectrica/aguas calientes/ollantaytambo (VistaDome Train upgrade may be necessary in busy seasons based on availability)
- Transfer Ollantaytambo train station to downtown Cusco
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- Vegetarian food available on request with no extra charge.
- First Aid equipment
- Complimentary transfer Airport/Hotel upon arrival in Cusco (please specify arrival time and flight number)
- Personal Travel Advisor assigend for you to customize the rest of your Peru Trip